Molecular Diagnostic Services (Pty) Ltd has, as its focus, the use of the most advanced technology to perform molecular and genetic analyses in the human and veterinary field. All tests are quality controlled and are highly accurate and sensitive. MDS offers molecular tests for a wide range of genetic markers and diseases including avian pathogens and DNA sexing.
Birds are susceptible to a number of diseases. For effective management of these diseases in an aviary, it is beneficial to know whether any new birds being introduced into the aviary are infected or are disease free. In many cases birds appear healthy, but they could be carriers of disease that could infect other birds.
The DNA sexing test is based on the fact that, as with humans, there is a sex linked chromosome in birds which can be analysed by genetic techniques to determine whether the bird is male or female. Our test is both sensitive and specific and can be performed from the first day after hatching.
For DNA testing we target certain genes of the bird’s DNA that are used to distinguish between the sexes. We have at least 10 different DNA sexing tests that cover most bird species. It is therefore important to indicate the species of the bird being tested for DNA sexing so that the correct assay for that species is used.
Although it is possible to use blood or tissue for testing, our preferred sample is a drop of blood collected using our sample collection kits, as the samples are stable and the risk of contamination is reduced. The sampling procedure is simple, non-invasive and can be performed at the site where the animal is located. The kit consists of a sterile tube containing a strip of specimen collection paper and a sterile needle. A small volume of blood blotted onto the collection paper is all that is needed to perform the molecular tests. Multiple tests can be performed on the same sample.
Kits can be ordered directly from MDS.
- No risk of trauma from anaesthesia or surgical complications.
- The bird does not have to be mature to be tested.
- The bird does not have to be transported as a sample can easily be taken by the owner.
- No special storage conditions are required once the sample has been taken.
- The test is rapid and results can be faxed or emailed within 2 working days of receipt of the sample at the laboratory.
- MDS also has an interactive online vetsite where clients can confidentially track their submitted samples and access their results.
- Current and historic results (from 2014-onwards) can be accessed from the online vetsite.
- A certificate can be supplied on request.
- Possibility of more than one test being performed on the same sample.
You will receive your results via e-mail within two working days of the MDS laboratory receiving your samples. Certificates for individual birds can be supplied on request at an additional charge
As the laboratory is continuously developing new tests, please access our website or contact us should you require a test not listed on our current request form.
Limitations of the test:
The molecular tests performed by MDS target the genetic material of the pathogen tested. The tests are sensitive and specific however they only determine the presence or absence of the viral or bacterial genetic material in the sample tested at the level of sensitivity of the test. This information can be used to support a clinical diagnosis however it should not be used as a diagnostic test on its own.
- In the event that Molecular Diagnostic Services (Pty) Ltd (MDS) returns a verifiable erroneous result for a particular sample, or if negligence is proven on the part of MDS, MDS will reimburse the submitter only the amount paid to MDS to perform the test. In no event shall MDS be liable for incidental, consequential, special or other damages of any nature even if MDS has been advised of the possibility of such damage.